Geranium plants are evergreen perennial shrubs with bright flowers that bloom throughout the year. Hundreds of species are available and the flowers grow in beautiful coral, white, lavender, red, and rose hues. Geranium oil is an aromatic oil extracted from Egyptian geranium (botanical name – Pelargonium x asperum) and rose geranium ( botanical name – Pelargonium roseum) flowers through the steam distillation method.
Geranium oil is extracted from the leaves and flowers of the geranium plant. It is a pale yellow to greenish-yellow oil with a minty rosy odor. The geranium fragrance is highly valued in perfumes. Apart from that, geranium oil has calming effects and beautifying properties. Its diffusion helps reduce anxiety and relax the mind while topical application promotes healthy skin and hair.
Geranium oil is safe to consume in moderate quantities as the leaves and flowers of the plants are edible and used in cakes, jellies, teas, and desserts. The major constituent of geranium essential oil is citronellol – a monoterpene alcohol compound that repels insects.
The oil exhibits astringent, hemostatic, tonic, and diuretic properties. It helps regulate hormones, improve blood circulation, lower BP, enhance kidney and dental health and reduce inflammation. Following uses of geranium essential oil and geranium floral water can be incorporated into daily life.
Include geranium oil in the skincare regime by adding a drop to the day or night cream to promote clear, even-toned, glowing skin.
- Make aromatic massage blends by mixing them with lemon, bergamot, lemongrass essential oil (Lemongrass oil is a safe citrus oil without phototoxic effects. It is used as a flavor, traditional digestive remedy, dermal application, and insect-repellent), neroli, nutmeg, basil, jasmine and citronella, and jojoba oil for various applications.
- Add a few drops of geranium oil to the shampoo and conditioner to give hair a shining effect.
- Place 2-3 drops of the oil on cotton balls and put them in the corners to keep away insects and mosquitoes.
- Make a facial mask using geranium oil, clay, witch hazel or geranium floral water, and normal water. Apply it for half an hour and rinse the face with normal water.
- Add two drops of the oil to 100 ml water and ingest it twice a day to improve the health of large intestine cells.
- Mix 3 drops of orange, 4 drops of geranium, 3 drops of Amyris essential oils, and 9 ml jojoba oil and pour the mixture in a 10 ml roller bottle. Use it as body mist on underarms, wrists, and back of the knees & ankles after shaking it well. The users can also use Geranium Leaf 3% dilution for massage and body mist.
- Make a healing blend with 4 drops of geranium, 4 drops of rosemary, 2 drops of lavender essential oil, and 10 ml jojoba oil. Keep it in an airtight roller bottle and apply it whenever required.
Geranium plants are cultivated across different regions of the world and so, the geranium essential oil wholesale suppliers are fragmented worldwide. However, tropical geranium plants have an exotic aroma and so the geranium oil available in these regions is highly demanded in perfumeries.
You can read more blogs like this: Daily-best articles